If you are filing a personal injury lawsuit in Texas civil court, you may wonder what types of evidence and testimony you will need to present a compelling case. Your attorney can put you in touch with numerous experts to help boost your claim’s validity. These experts can provide witness testimony on your behalf that will help prove your claim. In addition, these experts will produce reports to verify their claims.
Expert Witnesses in Texas Personal Injury Cases
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, your personal injury attorney may consult an expert witness to support your claim and testify at your trial. These witnesses have significant experience and training in their respective fields. You may need an expert witness for many reasons – verifying an instance of medical malpractice, testifying about tire blowout rates for a particular brand, or calculating your economic damages.
Your attorney will enlist the help of expert witnesses as he or she sees fit for your case. Your attorney may ask the following types of expert witnesses to provide testimony at your trial.
- Accident reconstruction experts have years of experience and training investigating accidents and establishing theories about what happened in an accident. They can help prove that the accident led to your injuries.
- Medical experts are important because they can help verify the extent of your injuries and, in some cases, instances of medical malpractice and negligence. They can provide independent opinions about your injuries and their causes.
- Economics experts help calculate your damages if you have a severe and debilitating injury. These experts can help you determine your loss of future wages, your employability after your accident, and other forms of economic damages.
- Mental health experts help you claim pain and suffering damages in your personal injury claim. They can provide testimony about how the accident affected your mental health, as well as the existence of psychological damage.
Rules for Expert Reports in Texas
Expert witnesses will also submit an expert report to the court and to the defense team regarding their findings in your case. This report will express their opinion about whatever your attorney asked them to study for your case, supported by facts and qualifications. Under United States federal law, your attorney will have to prove that the expert witness has the qualifications and credentials necessary to make him or her an expert in the field. Therefore, the expert report comes from a place of factual, reliable information.
Benefits of Expert Witnesses for Your Case
One of the greatest advantages of hiring a personal injury attorney to assist you with your lawsuit is access to expert witnesses and the resources to secure them for testimony. Expert witnesses can provide numerous benefits for the strength and credibility of your case.
- Expert witness testimony is different from other witness testimony. You receive support in the form of facts, studies, and someone to explain the facts and circumstances of your case in a clear, professional manner.
- Your expert witness has likely served as an expert witness in other cases and can handle the deposition and trial processes. He or she will be comfortable testifying on your behalf on the witness stand and can provide credible representation for your case.
- Your expert witness will often have a strong academic background, meaning that he or she has the skills necessary to write clear and defensible reports. Your expert reports will be comprehensive and supported by key evidence.
Having expert witnesses and expert reports in your Houston personal injury lawsuit can make the difference between an unsuccessful and a successful case. However, you need an attorney with the resources necessary to put you in contact with these experts. Contact a Texas personal injury attorney as soon as possible to begin your litigation and consult with the experts you need.