Walking is good for your health, and anyone living within a reasonable walking distance from their job or other destination might do well to go on foot. Many Texans are doing just that, and looking and feeling better for the effort. But there is a downside to this move toward healthy self-propulsion, leading many to get in touch with a skilled Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyer: drivers who are oblivious to walkers sharing the road and do not make the effort to see pedestrians and avoid hitting them. Drivers running stop signs and red lights, speeding through intersections, barreling though work zones crosswalks containing pedestrians, and generally disregarding the rights of others while driving poorly is causing an inordinate loss of human life and well-being in the state.
In 2012, more than 5000 pedestrians were hit by cars. 481 died and 2,962 suffered serious injuries as a result. Some of these injuries were serious or catastrophic:
What a Pedestrian Accident Attorney Will Do for You
Injured pedestrians and the families of those who have been killed by a driver’s negligence, carelessness, or deliberate disregard of the law have the right to file a claim to recover their damages from that driver. Although the insurance companies would prefer to deal with their insured’s victims directly, you should never attempt to settle a claim without an experienced personal injury lawyer for a number of reasons:
- Most people don’t know the true value of their case: an experienced Houston personal injury lawyer has a good idea what damages should be included in the claim and within a range, what constitutes a reasonable settlement for both economic and non-economic damages.
- The insurance company’s goals and yours are at odds: The insurer wants to pay the least amount possible to avoid a dent in the company’s profits; you, on the other hand, want a fair recover that reflects the true value of the losses you’ve suffered, including damage to your quality of life as well as financial losses. You need a legal advocate to represent your best interests and protect your legal rights.
- Insurance adjusters have many tactics that they often use to entice you to do or say something that they can use to harm your case. An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer knows how to overcome these tactics. If you try to deal with the adjuster unassisted, you’re simply not playing on a level field.
- A good lawyer will be able to recognize all parties who may share in liability for your injuries, including some you might not think of yourself. Your lawyer may also be able to identify additional insurance coverage to make a larger recovery possible.
- The insurance company knows you don’t have the skills or legal knowledge to try your case to a jury and that you will have to settle. They also know that if you have a lawyer known for legal acumen and willingness to go to court, they risk an expensive trail and an uncertain verdict.
- Your lawyer may be able to negotiate your medical bills down with your doctors, leaving more of your recovery for you.
- If you are a client of Gordon, Elias, & Seely, L.L.P., in Houston, your lawyer may be able to advance you interest free money to cover living expenses while you are waiting for your case to settle.
How to Find an Experienced Houston Pedestrian Accident Attorney
When you need an aggressive, committed, and skilled pedestrian accident lawyer in Houston, call the legal team at Gordon, Elias, & Seely, L.L.P. Partners Steve Gordon, Todd Elias, and Jeff Seely have a combined total of 60 years of experience helping pedestrian and other accident victims in Texas recover the money they and their families need to move on after an injury or death caused by another person or entity.
Free Review of Your Case
We offer a free accident consultation in which one of our pedestrian accident lawyers will review the facts of your case, answer your questions, and tell you about your legal options.
Do the right thing for yourself and your family. Call today before the legal time limit runs out.